According to the World Bank, the average annual loss from earthquakes in Albania is 6.23% of GDP and annual average flood losses 1.56% of GDP. World Risk Report 2016, published by the United Nations-Institute for Environment and Human Security, has calculated the Natural Disaster Risk Index for 2016 in 171 countries based on exposure, vulnerability and coping and adaptive capabilities, ranks Albania first in Europe and 40th in the world.
In Albania, the 2015 floods were a stark reminder of the country’s vulnerability to extreme weather events. As per the PDNA findings, a total of 9 regions and 53 municipalities were affected by the floods. The total population in the flooded areas amounted to 397.316 persons. Around 12,225 ha of arable and planted land were submerged, affecting crops at various stages of development. Approximately 15,000 farming households were affected and 9,992.6 ha of agriculture land damaged. The PDNA Report estimated the damages, losses and immediate needs at EUR 110 million.
The agreed local DRR platform of Albania, established through a Memorandum of Understanding in the framework of SEE Urban, is co-chaired the two Albanian associations of municipalities: Association of Municipalities of Albania (AMA) and Association for Local Autonomy (ALA).
This local DRR platform (RALF) will serve to:
- exchange ideas, knowledge, joint action, mutual support, among local, national, international actors involved in the field of disaster prevention and reduction
- strengthen municipal capacities in preparing, responding, recovering and mitigating disaster risk as well as for incorporating them into local development plans, policies and programs.
- encourage dialogue and a comprehensive local decision-making based on the open exchange of information and risk data, broken down by gender, age, inability, easily accessible, up-to-date, comprehensible and complemented by local knowledge.
- develop cooperation programs and projects in the area of prevention and readiness for disaster response with similar associations within and outside Albania
- support the establishment of systems and services for the exchange of information, best practices, technologies, lessons learned, and measures to reduce the risk of disaster.
- develop periodic campaigns for local community education and awareness on disaster risk and drafting local strategies for reducing it.
The DRR e-library, documents comprising Albanian DRR Legislative Framework as can be seen, contains various studies and assessments, as well as directives/regulation related to Albania’s membership to European Civil Protection Mechanism. They are being considered and reflected during preparation of the new Draft-law ‘On Civil Protection” by the General Directorate of Civil Emergency (GDCE) as well drafting of civil protection training modules.